This year instead of being able to meet in person to pack bags of baby items for our birth center, we ask you donate to Newborns in Need through the attached link. Donations will do two things. First, your gift will continue to support the Day of Service event you have come to know and love, planned for 2021 in West Haven. Second, by sending your contribution now you will enable YSN to launch “Newborns in Need in a Box.” By packaging our service project as a defined toolkit with guidance (“in a box”), alumni volunteers throughout the United States can host their own Newborns in Needs service project. With your support, YSN will provide seed funds, administrative guidance, and road-tested advice for alumni to launch a Newborn in Needs project in their community. We are excited to broaden the reach of the most popular Yale Day of Service event to bring together alumni across the country.
Funds raised may go towards the financial needs that come with hosting the service project. These could include:
- Delivery of bags to sites
- Food for volunteers
- Backfilling baby items needed to make a complete bag
Facts & Impact
- An adequate supply of diapers can cost over $100 per month.
- In poor and low-income families, a baby can spend a day or longer in one diaper, leading to potential health and abuse risks.
- Last year, we helped 375 newborn babies enter the world on the right foot with a bag filled with diapers, wipes, body wash, a onesie, socks, a hat, a board book, and a blanket.
To donate, go to giving.yale.edu/supportNewbornsinNeed.
Maria Banevicius ‘92 MSN