8:00am to 11:00am
Spend a Saturday beautifying the Zoo! Our group receives admission to the Zoo, refreshments and free ride coupons.
The role of the Zoo’s Horticulture Department is more than just to create beautiful gardens for the animals and visitors, it is also to help spread the message of habitat conservation and vegetation management. Participation means:
- Weeding and clean-up to eliminate the need for harmful pesticides
- Meeting new people of diverse backgrounds and all ages who share your commitment to conserving the Earth’s plant and animal species
- Sharing your expertise and developing new skills and interests
- Becoming part of San Francisco Zoo’s history
- Contributing to the ongoing development and improvement of the Zoo
- Getting really, really dirty In addition to having fun and building team camaraderie
Who can volunteer? Adults and children (adult:child ratio must be at least 1 adult per 5 children).
What do I wear? Something warm and comfortable that you don’t mind getting dirty. The Zoo provides tools and work gloves, but if you have work gloves, bring them just in case. Please wear sturdy work shoes.
Leah Khaghani, ‘11 PhD